Center for Academic Success: Saundra
Login to myLSU Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Search
LSU
CAS InformationCAS HomeDivision of Student Life
CAS InformationFacultyService-LearningConsultationsStudy StrategiesSupplementalTutorial CentersWorkshops

START
Tutoring
Online Workshops
Test Your Learning Style
GPA Calculator
Presentations
CAS Job Opportunities
Asssessment
Annual Report
Strategic Plan
Organizational Chart
Search
Faculty and Staff >Director

Saundra Y. McGuire, Ph.D

CAS Director, Chemistry Adjunct Professor, and Associate Dean of University College

Duties
I have the best job at LSU -- Director of the Center for Academic Success!
    • I administer the many programs the Center offers -- Tutorial Centers, Study Strategies Workshops, Service Learning, Supplemental Instruction, and START
    • As an Adjunct Professor of Chemistry at LSU, I tutor students in General and Organic Chemistry to help them learn challenging chemistry concepts and to assist them in developing more effective study techniques and test taking skills
      • I also get to talk with many students and faculty about helping LSU students become more strategic learners. The many emails, visits, and phone calls I get telling us how we've helped students earn A's, or simply improve their performance, make my job exciting and extremely rewarding.
    Personal
    I joined LSU as Director of the Center for Academic Success in the Fall of 1999. I came back to Baton Rouge, my hometown, after having spent the past thirty years teaching chemistry at universities outside of Louisiana. Most recently I spent twelve years at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY where I was director of the Center for Learning and Teaching and Sr. Lecturer in Chemistry. In addition to my duties as director of the Center for Academic Success, I write chemistry study guides, problem solving guides, and review books for Addison Wesley Longman Publishing Company.

Although I seem to have very little free time these days, my hobbies include tennis, cycling, reading, and travel-- both domestic and international. And I really treasure the time I spend with my husband, two daughters, and two grandchildren. I feel really blessed to have a job that gives me so much satisfaction, and I invite you to stop by B-31 Coates Hall to see what we have to offer you.

A Conversation with the Director

Contact Information
    Dr. Saundra Y. McGuire
    Center for Academic Success
    Louisiana State University
    B-31 Coates Hall (lower level, southwest end of building)
    Baton Rouge, LA 70803
    (225)578-6749
    smcgui1@lsu.edu

Center for Academic Success
    Division of Student Life
    B-31 Coates Hall
    Baton Rouge, LA 70803
    Phone: 225/578-2872
    Fax: 225/578-2696
    E-mail: cas@lsu.edu

Internet 2 University Member

Copyright © 2006. All Rights Reserved. Official Web Page of Louisiana State University.
    Search this Site | About this Site